Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Recipe for Redemption

It's interesting listening to others people's beliefs. Everyone has their own tailor-made idea of how it all works, or at least they sometimes think they do. One of my beliefs is to not let your mind escape and be molded by the mongering masses. Throughout my life, I have gone from one extreme to the other. Belief, lack thereof, belief. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. We all have two people inside of us. A head and a heart. And while its great when they work together, sometimes it's not so simple.
 The life I've lived is nothing out of a storybook. I don't have any deep traumas to report or ongoing psychological issues spicing things up. Simplicity. My parents never split up. We never lived in a car filled with our belongings. There was never a lack of food on the table or broken glass on the floor, and for that, I feel incredibly fortunate. But all those aside, the one thing I am so grateful to experience growing up was that of Love. My parents showered my siblings and I in it, and they continue to show us every day what it looks like.
 You might be wondering where this whole thing is going. 'He started on belief and now is talking about love'. But you see, they are one in the same. In the book of Dylan, it says to love. To love and to be loved is one of the most indescribable feelings one can experience. It's to feel someone's pain through the hardships, and to be overcome with joy during the good. It's being kind and thoughtful with no need for reciprocation. It's thinking twice before you speak. It is being as carefree as a child on a swing set, feeling the air rush through them as they pump their legs back and forth. No matter how short of a stick life gives you, my greatest belief is that love is there, and no one should give up on it. So go on. Love with reckless abandon. Love those deemed no good. Love the young and the old. Love the past and the future.
  So don't go through your life wracking your brain to come up with all the answers, because it is an impossibility to put your finger on everything. When it all boils down, and the final turn of the clock comes, just remember the love you gave, because that is the love you will receive. In the simplest terms, that's what I believe, that God is Love, and it is the greatest of all.

-DD

No comments: